The observatory was founded in 1960 as an affiliated institute of the former Deutsche Akademie der Wissenschaften zu Berlin and named "Karl-Schwarzschild-Observatorium" in honour of the famous astronomer and physicist Karl Schwarzschild (1873 - 1916).
In 1992, the institute was refounded as Thüringer Landessternwarte
"Karl Schwarzschild" Tautenburg indicating that it is operated as a State Observatory of the Freistaat Thüringen.
|Latitude||50° 58´ 48.4" North|
|Longitude||11° 42´ 40.2" East|
|Declination axis||341m above sea level|
The observatory is located about 10 kilometers north-east of Jena.